This rare hand-pulled photogravure showing the front of London's St. Martin's in the Fields Church framed between the columns of the National Galley in Trafalgar Square was taken by English photographer Eustace Calland. It was printed on Japan paper and included as part of the commemorative work: Kodak Portfolio: Souvenir of the Eastman Photographic Exhibition 1897. The plate is further important as having been prepared and printed by noted Scottish photographer James Craig Annan. Further details on this photograph and exhibition follow this listing.
Excellent, with subtle age-toning to all margins.
Please inspect both photographs with listing.
image size: 12.2 x 6.6 cm
support: 23.1 x 15.2 cm
Please follow this link for additional details of work in the PhotoSeed Archive.
Titled "St. Martin's Church- Trafalgar Square" in the portfolio, the following account was printed on separate letterpress, which will accompany the photograph as part of its' purchase:
“This interesting production of Mr. Calland’s is decidedly novel and original in composition. The photograph is taken from the raised portico in front of the National Gallery, and gives a very quaint and pleasing presentment of the view which is seen eastward through the colonnade. The negative was taken in a No. 4 Cartridge Kodak with a bulb exposure, that is, a pressure and release discharge of the shutter.”
About the 1897 Exhibit
In 1897, the creeping global colossus known as the Eastman Kodak Company in America and the Eastman Photographic Materials Co., Ltd. in England hitched their wagon to the growing interest in international photographic exhibitions by putting on the largest one of its type that year in London.
Organized by prominent English pictorial photographer George Davison, (1856-1930) himself a founding member of the British Linked Ring and perhaps more importantly, the Director of the Eastman Photographic Materials Company in England, the exhibit drew 25,000 photographic entries from all over the world. Prize money of $3000.00 was the incentive.
From Wikipedia: St Martin-in-the-Fields Church is an English Anglican church at the north-east corner of Trafalgar Square in the City of Westminster, London. It is dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours. There has been a church on the site since the medieval period. The present building was constructed in a Neoclassical design by James Gibbs in 1722–1726.